Joe covers some basic and intermediate SEO fundamentals getting into some interesting areas such as Google Webmaster Tools. Some nuggets from the presentations are the following:
Google Secure Search (When your logged into Google accounts or sites, and do a search, the organic keyword is no longer passed.)
- We have basically lost 20% of our organic search data after November 2011. It takes away one of our KPI’s in SEO. We now don’t have any accurate data, and with Google+ this is getting worse. If we are logged in we are basically losing all our organic data and insight. Google’s answer to this is Google Webmaster Tools.
- Optimizing based on Query. Title Tag Optimization and a call to action in the meta description. A little link and anchor text optimization including content optimization will be good to have the site more visible.
- ConcentrateMe / Analytics – Long tail search Analytics that will get those keyword counts and visibility increases. We need to identify common keywords modifiers such as Buy, Sell, Discount, Coupons. We know people search using these keywords and provides actionable data and keywords.
- Action Items: Identify 3 keywords between position 6-10 range and optimize these to isolate your optimization success.
Google Webmaster Tools Nuggets:
- Associates: In your Youtube channel you will be able to identify you are the owner of the channel or video. This will be linked in Web Master Tools. Creating the” Official Video” for a website which even if it’s mildly optimized should outrank other sites.
- Utilizing WMT for SEO is now a much stronger asset than before with real advanced data available such as:
- Indexed pages and pages not selected for search, creating the oppportunity to work on individual pages that are being excluded from Google SERP.
- Structured Data e.g. Schema.org data is now being reported.
- Authorstats is really exciting, and if being utilized well will show author attribution of content.
Joe’s Optimization Tip: Use SearchStatus Toolbar for Firefox (here)
- Look at a linear page layout
- Exporting URL’s with matching Title and Descriptions, creating a great worksheet
- Bing’s Webmaster Center
- Bruce Clay’s SEO Toolset
- Raven SEO Tools
- Majestic SEO
- SEOMoz Open Site Explorer
- Joe’s Bonus Tool: GA Troubleshooter: Only available in Chrome as an overlay to see what is happening in Google Analytics
- SEO Tools Homework: Clean up errors and duplicates, alt tags, linearized html
- Benchmark backlink and index data
- Crawl the site with Gsitecrawler and export meta tags.